House Fire Claims Newhall Home -- November 3, 2014

A Newhall home burned to the ground early Sunday morning, leaving the two occupants without a home weeks before Thanksgiving, fire officials said Monday.

The house fire was reported on the 24000 block of Pine Street between 4th and 5th Street in Newhall at 1:02 a.m. and officials arrived on scene at 1:06 a.m., said Los Angeles County Fire DepartmentInspector Rick Flores. The fire was knocked down 20 minutes later.

“Smoke and fire was coming from the front windows,” Flores said adding the single-family home was “fully involved” in flames. 

There was a minor injury to a firefighter, no residents of the home or nearby homes were injured, he said.

“It was a total loss costing about $140,000,” said Lt. Tom Bryski of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station. “The cause was an unattended candle.”

A firefighter from Station 73 said there was no power to the house and the woman who lived there “woke up when she heard heard a popping sound and saw flames.”

“The whole house had fire, from the front door to the back door,” he said. “Only one room was saved.”

Two people lived at the home, but one of the occupants was not at home when the fire occurred, the firefighter said.